Congratulations! You have just been offered your dream job. This is an exciting but stressful time since resigning is not as simple as just handing in your resignation letter.
In my time as a recruiter I have seen many candidates go through this process some gracefully and others not so.
Below are some tips to help you along the way:
1. Organise a meeting with your boss, it is always best to do this face to face if possible.
2. Keep the meeting brief and to the point, do not divulge too much about the new role.
3. Thank them for their help and advice over the years and keep criticism to a minimum.
4. Be as flexible as you can with your notice period/ handover and offer to help find your replacement.
5. After the meeting follow up with a letter/email confirming your resignation.
6. Leave on a positive note and keep in touch with colleagues you never know when you might need them.
Your boss will probably try to make you stay by offering you a counter offer – the key at this stage is to stay firm and then start planning your new life at your dream job.
Good luck and if you need any help feel free to contact me.